[Milton-L] Le Comte & Peacham Was: Milton & Lilith

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Thu Apr 21 23:57:23 EDT 2011

Wonderful stuff, Larisa.  Thanks again.
Salwa
Salwa Khoddam, Ph.D.
Professor of English, Emerita
Oklahoma City University
2501 N. Blackwelder
OKC, OK  73106
Phone:  405-208-5127
Email:  skhoddam at cox.net
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Zámbóné Kocic Larisa
  To: 'John Milton Discussion List'
  Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:35 AM
  Subject: [Milton-L] Le Comte & Peacham Was: Milton & Lilith

  It sliped my mind previously, but it is sure worth noting: the best tangible connection one can make between Milton and Lilith is, I think, via Edward Le Comte. In his novel I,Eve Lilith it present, to say the least ;) A great read, by the way, especially for Miltonists. I discovered it while doing my research on Lilith in Milton, which, since, I have abandoned.

  As for male sin representaions, one does not have to go as far as Italy Peacham's Icon Peccati (emblem 146) depicts a young boy with snakes around his waist, one eating its way into his heart - although this particular emblem was indeed influenced by Cesare Ripa's Iconologia:

  http://f01.middlebury.edu/FS010A/students/n146.htm

  Larisa Kocic-Zambo