[Milton-L] Le Comte & Peacham Was: Milton & Lilith

Zámbóné Kocic Larisa larisa at lit.u-szeged.hu
Thu Apr 21 08:35:44 EDT 2011

It sliped my mind previously, but it is sure worth noting: the best tangible
connection one can make between Milton and Lilith is, I think, via Edward Le
Comte. In his novel I,Eve Lilith it present, to say the least ;) A great
read, by the way, especially for Miltonists. I discovered it while doing my
research on Lilith in Milton, which, since, I have abandoned.

As for male sin representaions, one does not have to go as far as Italy
Peacham's Icon Peccati (emblem 146) depicts a young boy with snakes around
his waist, one eating its way into his heart - although this particular
emblem was indeed influenced by Cesare Ripa's Iconologia:

http://f01.middlebury.edu/FS010A/students/n146.htm

Larisa Kocic-Zambo