[Milton-L] Re: Milton & Lilith

Qadir ghadir2005 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:28:26 EDT 2011

We know Burton mentions Lilith:
"Concerning the first beginning of them, the Talmudists say that Adam had a
wife called Lilis, before he married Eve, and of her he begat nothing but
devils."
>From what we read in *PL,* book II, Sin is only capable of begetting devils.
And unless we believe *PL* (Satan and Adam) is a case of Dr Jekyll and Mr
Hyde, there seems to be no compelling evidence as to the appearance, however
distorted, of Lilith in *PL. *But since (like Jonathan Culler, unless my
memory fails me) I find over-interpretations rather interesting, I want to
clutch at this rather tenuous line of argument. Is anyone immediately aware
of a passage in *PL *where Satan and Adam come *face to face* as opposed to
a mere glance from afar like the one in book IV? I'm too curious to wait
till my next reading of the epic?
I would like to know if this Dr Jekyll thing is even remotely possible and,
in case it is more like a joke, whether it is a funny one at that?!

On a more serious note, you might find this article interesting: *Commentaries
on Genesis as a Basis for Hexaemeral Material in the Literature of the Late
Renaissance* by Arnold Williams. He proposes that Milton, like Raleigh and
Browne, used the commentaries on Genesis written in the 16th and early 17th
centuries rather than going exclusively to the original sources. There are
also some passing references to Lilith and Burton.

Qadir - Tehran.