[Milton-L] Milton & Lilith

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 14:44:01 EDT 2011

Jameela noted:

Mr. Beaver says of the White Witch, "she comes of your father Adam's . . . first
wife, her they called Lilith" (page 81 in my edition).

My question:

Was Mr. Beaver repeating a mere myth of Narnia? Readers know that the witch
comes from another planet, not earth, and has nothing to do with Lilith (which
doesn't mean that Lewis wasn't thinking of Lilith as a model for the witch, of
course).

Jeffery Hodges