[Milton-L] New Missal and Mass Language

Gilliatt, Cynthia Ann - gilliaca gilliaca at jmu.edu
Tue Apr 12 15:58:34 EDT 2011

.
"As a Catholic, I know this has been something our liturgical council is going round and round about. People are resistant to change, no matter what the change appears to be.
As a scholar, much as Jeffrey said, I find the changes in the Nicene Creed to be some of the most interesting. Not just the vocabulary change but also the fact that "We believe in..." is changing to "I believe in...". I find this interesting as it appears to represent a large shift in how the members of the church are supposed to relate to the church.
Given that these changes are supposed to be a return liturgically, while I imagine Milton would have enjoyed the syntactical debate, I doubt he would have been in favor of the Church returning to it's more old fashioned roots."

--
.In the Episcopal Church you can use euther form of the Creed in the Rite One Eucharist - the one that retains a lotof the thee/thou language. In Rite II, more contemporary, you can only use the "We" form.