[Milton-L] New Missal and Mass Language

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:53:40 EDT 2011

Very interesting indeed -- the shift from plural to singular -- and again,
in a sense, a restoration, at least from the Anglican perspective. In the
1549 BCP, responses are in the singular. "O Lord open thou my lips: And my
mouthe shall shewe forth they prayse." (In this case, the source, also in
the singular, is Ps. 51: 15.) In the 1552 BCP, however, the singular has
become plural: "our lips"; "our mouths." So it remained in subsequent
editions. Intruiguing, then, that the Catholic Missal is now moving in the
opposite direction, seemingly away from corporate worship toward personal
devotion.

Hannibal

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Karra Shimabukuro <
khkshimabukuro at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a Catholic, I know this has been something our liturgical council is
> going round and round about. People are resistant to change, no matter what
> the change appears to be.
> As a scholar, much as Jeffrey said, I find the changes in the Nicene Creed
> to be some of the most interesting. Not just the vocabulary change but also
> the fact that "We believe in..." is changing to "I believe in...". I find
> this interesting as it appears to represent a large shift in how the members
> of the church are supposed to relate to the church.
> Given that these changes are supposed to be a return liturgically, while I
> imagine Milton would have enjoyed the syntactical debate, I doubt he would
> have been in favor of the Church returning to it's more old fashioned roots.
>
> --
> Karra Shimabukuro
> B.F.A, M.S.Ed., M.A, NBCT

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340