[Milton-L] Milton & Lilith

Ryan Paul ryanspaul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:50:39 EDT 2011

Dear E-Miltonists:

A student asked me about Lilith and whether Milton knew her story or was
influenced by it. I assume that Milton was well aware of the story, but I
have no idea if his works, *PL *or otherwise, make any references to her. A
scan through the index of Shoulson's *Milton and the Rabbis* did not turn up
any mention of her, and the only mention I could find in a (very cursory)
web search of Milton scholarship turned up a brief aside in Denis Saurat's
1922 article "Milton and the *Zohar*," where he suggests that perhaps the
character of Sin was based on the Lilith legend. All this suggests to me
that Milton simply wasn't interested in her story, but I wanted to check
with the list to see if any of you either knew of scholarship on the subject
or had your own theories about her role in shaping Milton's theology or
poetry.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Best,
Ryan Paul