[Milton-L] Psalm 137 in the 1640s

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 09:52:23 EDT 2011

If list-members will forgive a little self-promotion, I've written a series
of blog posts that might be of interest. The series is called "Psalm 137 and
Religious Violence," and it treats varied uses of the psalm in the
church-government debates of the 1640s. In the spirit of "save the best for
last," Milton figures in the fifth and final post. Some of the material will
probably be familiar, especially to those who've read the relevant chapter
of Hannibal Hamlin's book, but I do bring in some instances that I don't
recall finding there.

Here's a link to the first post, from which you can click through to the
others (all of which are up as of this morning):

http://www.stateofformation.org/2011/04/psalm-137-and-religious-violence-part-i-%E2%80%9Cdown-with-it-down-with-it-even-to-the-ground%E2%80%9D/

Best wishes,
Jason A. Kerr
Doctoral Candidate
Boston College

--
The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,

           —Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"