[Milton-L] IMS10

miriammansur at terra.com.br miriammansur at terra.com.br
Thu Apr 7 15:47:43 EDT 2011

 Dear Angelica, Jeffery, and Jameela,
 Thanks for sharing with me your concerns and options. We all
received the IMS10 statement today and I am sure it answered or at
least gave us some hope up to April 29th. Let's wait and see what it
is going to be for the next couple of weeks.
 Thanks again,
 Miriam Mansur
 UFMG/BRAZIL
 On Qua 6/04/11 21:09 , "Duran, Angelica A" duran0 at purdue.edu sent:
  Dear Miriam,
 Thank you for sharing your concern.  I add my thoughts, even though,
as some on this list know, I was waiting until about April 15 to draft
an e-letter to the organizers to alert them to the behind-the-scenes
conversations that lead me to believe that many panelists may begin to
decline to attend, either because of personal concerns or the
prohibitions of some universities I have not double-checked my
university’s current stance yet, but I know they had all
study-abroad students return home, without exception.  I thought to
wait until April 15 because I believed that would give universities
and individuals to have more of a sense of the stability of the ground
and the nuclear power plant, yet still give the IMSX organizers enough
time to find a location, still in Japan, but further from the
continuing aftershocks, some still 6.0 magnitude and from the unknown
but strong risk of radiation from the nuclear power-plants.  Kyoto
seems like a good candidate. Once panelists start pulling out, there
is indeed a snowball effect: why go to a conference when the panels
one wanted to attend are cancelled or such?
 I hope others will share their thoughts on this important conference
to help ensure its success, safety, and strong attendance.
 Many thanks.
 Adios,
 Angelica Duran
 Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
 Director, Religious Studies Program
 Purdue University
 500 Oval Drive / Heavilon Hall
 West Lafayette, Indiana 47907