[Milton-L] IMS10

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:09:05 EDT 2011

Dear Miriam,

Thank you for sharing your concern.  I add my thoughts, even though, as some on this list know, I was waiting until about April 15 to draft an e-letter to the organizers to alert them to the behind-the-scenes conversations that lead me to believe that many panelists may begin to decline to attend, either because of personal concerns or the prohibitions of some universities I have not double-checked my university’s current stance yet, but I know they had all study-abroad students return home, without exception.  I thought to wait until April 15 because I believed that would give universities and individuals to have more of a sense of the stability of the ground and the nuclear power plant, yet still give the IMSX organizers enough time to find a location, still in Japan, but further from the continuing aftershocks, some still 6.0 magnitude and from the unknown but strong risk of radiation from the nuclear power-plants.  Kyoto seems like a good candidate. Once panelists start pulling out, there is indeed a snowball effect: why go to a conference when the panels one wanted to attend are cancelled or such?

I hope others will share their thoughts on this important conference to help ensure its success, safety, and strong attendance.

Many thanks.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
Director, Religious Studies Program
Purdue University
500 Oval Drive / Heavilon Hall
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907