[Milton-L] Re: one more remark on"knew not eatingdeath."

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Tue Jul 27 16:46:59 EDT 2010

Thanks to Professor Skulsky for elaborating on his understanding of the
Greek understanding of understanding underlying "She knew not eating
death."  To John Hale, who asks what editors from Hume on made of the
piece:  I happen to have Hume handy and here's his paraphrase:  "Greedily
she glutted herself without any consideration and thought not that she was
devouring what would not maintain Life, but breed and bring forth all
devouring Death."  He doesn't specifically label the phrase a grecism, but
he does seem to be trying to register at least two of the meanings that
earlier contributors to this discussion mentioned:  didn't know she was
eating death and didn't know she was eating eating-Death.

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College