[Milton-L] Milton's artistry

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 16:46:08 EDT 2010

I toss this out without developing it, pleading being very busy:

Could not a further aspect of Milton's artistry consist in conscious
allusion to the earlier part of PL.  Death with a capital D, as the
offspring of Sin and Satan?  Remember, too, that Adam and Eve don't know
what death is (per Bk IV), so perhaps Eve's process of  "eating" may go
something like this:The serpent, by appeals to curiosity, appetite,
desire for her and Adam's greater good, and wishes for independence cons
her.

    * She doesn't know what death is, having scarcely more experience of
      it than just having heard the word.
    * Raphael hasn't told them anything about Sin and Death, a very
      little actually about Satan.
    * She eats--greedily-- Milton following the bare bones of Genesis
      and fleshing them out, because it looks yummy and is "desired to
      make one wise."
    * That one adverb "greedily" directly ties her act to a Deadly Sin,
      and therefore to Sin (that she's ignorant of) and directly takes
      her to Death.
    * The horror is compounded.

I know this is simplistic and even a little distorted, but mightn't
there be a subtler "grecism" or classicism going on here?  Eve becomes
like a hero of classical tragedy that unwittingly commits the very act,
from highest intentions, that will seal his fate.

FWIW --

Nancy Charlton