[Milton-L] Milton's artistry

J. B. Lethbridge lethbridge at jblethbridge.com
Wed Jul 21 11:36:35 EDT 2010

Can I chip in with something less scholarly, but I think pertinent.
One of the things that impresses me about this line is its sheer efficiency,
even if all you plug for is the "she did not know that she was eating death"
reading. But it is also memorable, and highly quotable. Nor should we
over-estimate its syntactic oddity or unnaturalness (re English). I recall
doing PL at A-Level many years ago, and while some of PL is of course hard
for teenagers to follow, not much of it is (was), and above all this line
seemed quite normal to us, though dense, naturally: that is, it seemed to
belong to English. And it stuck. It was, for instance always on hand for a
joke about the food at school, and I dare say not just at ours.
And if ever one wanted a companion line to go with Leavis's much-derided
comment about chewing apples in reading Ode to Autumn, this would be it.
It may not be a ravishing line (poetic), but nor is it as awkward as it
seems upon prolonged and scholarly reflection: but if it is native (if
'natural' is too strong) memorable, quotable, and efficient surely it is
that far poetic and at least not a bad line.
So that seeing it as a graecism does not justify it, but explains either or
both of how it came to be designed that way, or how it works.
It seems coarse to intrude with such things in a very expert and rewarding
discussion of technique and technicalities, but might the lived experience
of PL help keep us honest (so to speak)?
JBL

J.B. Lethbridge
(Gen. Ed., The Manchester Spenser)
English Seminar