[Milton-L] Milton's artistry

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 21 10:55:09 EDT 2010

That Milton worked in PL to "prevent paradise even from being imagined,
except on condition of its imminent loss" seems completely and utterly wrong to
me.  Much of the achievement of the poem -- and much of its uniqueness --
comes from the extraordinary and sustained evocation it provides of developed
LIFE in Eden before the fall (relationships, work, sex, companionship, picnics,
story-telling, discussions, etc.).

I am also willing to go on record thinking that "knew not eating Death" is quite a
bad line, only perhaps justified by Death being thought of as the agent of
"eating."  Seeing at as a "grecism" [sic] does not seem to me any sort of poetic
justification.

RS