[Milton-L] Queering Milton

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Jan 27 13:19:47 EST 2010

.
>   John, I don't know where I first heard it, but the
>   expression "queering the deal" is fairly common.

And it;s been around for a long time - can't cite dates off the top of my head [OED might help], but am relatively sure it was in common usage before the word 'queer' became primarily associated with gay folks.  Same with what breaks me up every Christmas: "Don we now our gay apparel...!"  I'm gay, so I get to giggle - linguistic in-group privilege - a phrase I just invented.

And, old as I am, every Easter when we sing "Up above the sky He's King!" I am ineveitably reminded of the radio [and later tv] show about a modern cowboy who owned an airplane, "Sky King."

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter