[Milton-L] Not everybody likes Milton

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Jan 27 08:28:39 EST 2010

. I mean.
>   Perhaps Milton shouldn't be taught in school . . .

When I first read Jane Austen - "Pride and Predjudice" - in high school, she was a very tedious and boring writer. However, when I read one of her novels in college, I found she had improved a lot. The older I get, the better she writes.

Milton did not learn to write well until I had one short summer to prepare to teach our undergrad course because a colleague left. The more I taught Milton, the better HE got, too.

Amazing, the afterlives of the poets and novelists!
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU, ret.
JMU Safe Zones supporter