[Milton-L] Not everybody likes Milton

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 08:00:59 EST 2010

The astronomer Harlow Shapley, interviewed on June 8, 1966 by Charles Weiner and Helen Wright, admitted to enjoying poety and liking Tennyson, but when asked by Wright, "How about Milton?", replied:

"Milton's tedious. And also I had to study him in some school. That always queers a poet."

That's unfortunate, for Shapley might have answered all our questions about astronomy and the seasons of Paradise Lost . . . prelapsarian questions, I mean. Perhaps Milton shouldn't be taught in school . . .

At any rate, here's the website with the interview (thought that's all that he says about Milton):

http://www.aip.org/history/ohilist/4888_1.html