[Milton-L] Symposium

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 02:17:02 EST 2010

I'm not sure if it has been discussed on the list before, but Alexander Gill
the Elder once offered his services as a tutor to the Emperor of Morocco.

His intention, if I remember right, was to bring his entire family and,
among other things, asked that a suitable house be provided for them.

I wish I could remember more detail of the letter or forward you the
contents. I'm in Alexandria VA for a few years and don't have access to most
of my books.

It can be found in:

Danielsson, B. / Gabrielson, A. (eds) 1972. Alexander Gill's Logonomia
Anglica (1619), Part II: Biographical and Bibliographical Introductions,
Translation and Notes. Stockholm: Almqvist / Wiksell.

Maybe something to look into if you have not done so already.  The only ref.
I can find online is the following:

In 1609 Gill applied for a post with the Emperor of Morocco, offering his
services in arithmetic. geometry, astronomy, cosmography, gubematics and
gnomics, all subjects he had been instructed In 'from early youth'. By this
date Gill was also deeply immersed in alchemy and the Cabala, and included
the physicians Peter Turner and Francis Anthony among his friends."

http://books.google.com/books?id=7q48AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=%22alexa
nder+gill%22++morocco&source=bl&ots=atbhxsuFgA&sig=ov7HqyzMcku3RGL7ZyRp71Qs4
zc&hl=en&ei=nUFdS4T5FNSn8Ab-yej4BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ve
d=0CA4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22alexander%20gill%22%20%20morocco&f=false

I hope the link comes through OK.

Amazon info is:
The Mathematician's Apprenticeship: Science, Universities and Society in
England 1560-1640
# Hardcover: 256 pages
# Publisher: Cambridge University Press (March 30, 1984)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0521251338
# ISBN-13: 978-0521251334

-John