[Milton-L] Re: orthodoxy / briefly on Dante

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:46:52 EST 2010

Ha...no, no question, it's sarcastic.  What matters, I think, is what
Dante was taught.  And Milton.  And how their later creative output
shaped and modified it.

I don't think that we "discover new things" in Milton or in Dante or
any other author as time goes on, or at least, I don't think that's
the best way to put it.  The implication is that those things were
there all along until we were able to "discover" them.  I think it's
more accurate to say that subsequent generations bring new mythologies
to bear upon past literature so interpret it differently.  Saying it
this way keeps us from privileging later mythologies over earlier
ones, so that we can respect earlier mythologies as on a par with our
own.

Jim R

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Dario Rivarossa wrote:
>>
>> >Dante (...) it seems to me that even with the first lines (losing the
>> path) he assumes we have lost it with him. It's not a unique path,
>> it's the path all humans travel.
>>
>> Yeah, absolutely. "We" are taught THAT from the secondary school on,
>> sometimes even earlier
>> ;-)
>
> And _your_ tone here is Miltonic ratehr than Dantean! You force your
> reader to decide whether your claim is literal or sarcastic, whether in
> eithr case it is correct, and so forth.
>
> Carrol

James Rovira
Tiffin University