[Milton-L] "the only great Christian writer this nation has produced"

Dr. Larry Gorman larry at eastwest.edu
Thu Jan 21 15:02:47 EST 2010

My own evaluation would differ.  I don't consider Tolkien or Lewis or
Bunyan great imaginative writers, and I find Tolkien most interesting
when explore the heroic rather than the Christian ethos.  I'm not a big
fan of Brecht, nor am I a communist, but I would think his orthodoxy as
a writer is suspect.  I'm not at all sure that Eliot's writing profited
from his orthodoxy, although perhaps orthodoxy made Ash Wednesday and
The Four Quartets possible.

If orthodoxy doesn't impede or help the creative writer, it is
irrelevant to the text, and discussing it is a form of refined gossip.
When I think of a writer's orthodoxy, I think of the story, not the
stated belief.  What I state seems the shell of my beliefs.

My assumption is that orthodoxy by its very nature moves one from the
imaginative to the doctrinaire.  Religion can be more than an ideology,
but it can and does easily degenerate.  Orthodoxy is the degenerate
tendency of religion.  Religions require it:  It allows them to define
themselves.  (Definitions are limiting and structuring.)   Someone like
Flannery O'Connor obviously found orthodoxy important in her own life,
although she did have a taste for Teilhard de Chardin.  But Wise Blood
or The Violent Bear It Away-they are the products of an imagination
obsessed with Christian images.  I believe the writer when she tells me
that she tried to structure them in an orthodox way.  I don't know that
she succeeded.