[Milton-L] "the only great Christian writer this nation has produced"

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:04:58 EST 2010

The problem with all such value judgements is that they depend upon various
definition arguments. From reading Flannery O'Connor, for instance, I'd be
inclined to seriously question her "orthodoxy." Indeed -- an idle thought --
might "greatness" and "orthodoxy" usually exist in writers in inverse
proportion? But then of course "greatness" is even more difficult to define.
And what, moreover, makes a writer "religious"? I'd make a case for both
Whitman and Dickinson as religious, though they were far from orthodox.
Certainly great. I suppose we could even debate the parameters of
"American." What about T.S. Eliot?

Hannibal

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges <
jefferyhodges at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I see that I've not been clear. I wasn't contesting the exclusion of
> Milton from *American* writers, merely wondering if the same logic,
> applied to Milton, would exclude him from a list of Christian writers
> generally.
>

> But I seem also to have been wrong about Professor Wood being on this list.
> Must be some other list. Apologies for the distraction. Now back to the
> program "Cosmos," which is still in progress . . .
>

> Jeffery Hodges

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University