[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:14:20 EST 2010

Dear Jim

as far as I know, chaos as un-formed matter, or not-yet-formed one, was
officially (re)introduced into astronomy only by Pierre-Simon de Laplace in
1796.

>That's an interesting question, Dario.  I'm with Jeffery on this one -- I'm
not sure either.  I see most semitic and European creation mythologies as
variations on a theme, and Milton seems to be fit within this broader
tradition well.  He's just a lot more detailed.  But I'm not sure what
Milton's contemporaries thought about the relationship between chaos and the
material universe -- say, how this relationship was represented in sermons
and other theological works of Milton's day and immediately before.  He may
be an outsider in relationship to them, but I'm not sure.