[Milton-L] Milton Senior

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jan 21 09:07:02 EST 2010

A point on behalf of the hypothesis is that "sighs" doesn't have a
rhyme-partner, while all the other end-words do. That case would be somewhat
of an aberration in 17th-century lyric verse. In "Lycidas" Milton Jr. mixed
blank lines with rhyme, but more than once, so it doesn't look like an
accident. Of course, the uneven stanza mixing various line lengths is normal
practice at the time, but usually these stanzas incorporate more than one
shift of length. Your analysis seems sound.

Michael