[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:57:29 EST 2010

Don't we need to understand "embryon" in terms of then-contemporary theories
of pre-existence (everything begins fully formed, just very small) rather
than in terms of our current understanding (transformation in form as the
embryo grows).  If so, then atoms in the passage quoted are "embryonic" in
the sense that dry things are made up of dry atoms, moist things of moist
atoms, etc.  Chaos wouldn't then exist on the atomic level, but on the macro
level, in which dryness, moisture, etc., does not take organized form, but
combats with one another for dominance.