[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 07:55:54 EST 2010

Carol, I don't see that anything is being created here, and I see more instability here than Professor Skulsky does. Chaos sits as umpire, and chance governs all. Both hold eternal anarchy. "Embyron" seems to imply not fully formed and thus perhaps unstable. The passage below seems to me to mix atomist and Aristotelian (and Platonic) views on elements and qualities. Their fighting is expressed with the metaphor of generals and clans, but Milton is describing a chaotic mix of the four qualities of moist, dry, cold, and hot (not quite forming their combinations into sea, shore, air, or fire) and the atoms (to some degree unformed, but also having their physical characteristics). Asking the relation between the qualities (which exist only fully as characteristics of elements) and the atoms (which, being embryon, seem lacking in full form) is a fair question, surely not an absurd one. All of this still seems unstable to me.

Jeffery Hodges

Before thir eyes in sudden view appear [ 890 ]
The secrets of the hoarie deep, a dark
Illimitable Ocean without bound,
Without dimension, where length, breadth, & highth,
And time and place are lost; where eldest Night
And Chaos, Ancestors of Nature, hold [ 895 ]
Eternal Anarchie, amidst the noise
Of endless Warrs, and by confusion stand.
For hot, cold, moist, and dry, four Champions fierce
Strive here for Maistrie, and to Battel bring
Thir embryon Atoms; they around the flag [ 900 ]
Of each his faction, in thir several Clanns,
Light-arm'd or heavy, sharp, smooth, swift or slow,
Swarm populous, unnumber'd as the Sands
Of Barca or Cyrene's torrid soil,
Levied to side with warring Winds, and poise [ 905 ]
Thir lighter wings. To whom these most adhere,
Hee rules a moment; Chaos Umpire sits,
And by decision more imbroiles the fray
By which he Reigns: next him high Arbiter
Chance governs all. Into this wilde Abyss, [ 910 ]
The Womb of nature and perhaps her Grave,
Of neither Sea, nor Shore, nor Air, nor Fire,
But all these in thir pregnant causes mixt
Confus'dly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless th' Almighty Maker them ordain [ 915 ]
His dark materials to create more Worlds