[Milton-L] Milton Senior

William Poole william.poole at new.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 06:35:56 EST 2010

Dear all,

At Leeds last weekend Michael Chance and Fretwork performed the consort
music of John Milton Senior. They then spent the next fews days
recording it, and a CD and a printed edition, edited by Richard Rastall,
of Milton Senior's music are both forthcoming for later in the year.
Some of you may already have the Milton/Peerson CD of the vocal music,
performed by Selwyn College Choir again from Rastall's edition.

Meanwhile, the evening threw up a potential prosodic question. Now
Milton Senior's 'In Nomine' for voice and five viols sets the following
text:

Inomine:

If that a sin[n]er[‘s] sig[h]es
sent from a soule oprest
maye pearce the firmement and mount the throane
wheare greate Jehovah sittes, the god of rest,
then heare O Lord the sad tune of my mone
O gratious god, whoes goodnes gives mee light,
receave my teares and prayeres in thy sight

Now this is sometimes transcribed by conflating the first two lines
above to achieve a simple ABABCC stanza, and this looks more or less
right. But it leaves us the problem that the first, reconstituted line
is now hypermetric by one foot. If we could knock out a foot from the
first two lines we get a simple ABABCC rhymed iambic pentameter prayer,
of a kind that would be quite plausible. But the
splitting up of the first putative line into two isocola, while it might
make musical sense in context, gives us a hypermetrical line in a most
unlikely place for a poem-in-itself. This supports the notion that the
poem existed first and was slightly refitted for the music. I wonder if
the original poem ran 'If that these sighs' ... ? This would give us
strong alliteration within the first line of the original poem, and also
the hint about where to take the poem if one 5-foot line had to become
two three-foot lines. Might this then suggest that the composer is
slightly refitting a prior poem, not written by him? But then 'sad
tune', I grant, does sound as if music was always in the writer's mind
... so perhaps Milton Sr after all? What do people think? Am I right to
see a prior, metrically sound poem behind this one, or should I be
content with what I have as
more-or-less-OK-from-a-setting-composer's-point-of-view? And who wrote
it, and in one or two iterations? Milton or Leighton or someone else? --
'pearce the firmement and mount the throane' sounds very familiar, and
perhaps I am missing something very obvious.

I'm asking this on behalf of Rastall, who would be interested to hear
what those closer to Milton Jr and text than to Milton Sr and music have
to say.

All best,

William Poole