[Milton-L] "the only great Christian writer this nation has produced"

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Wed Jan 20 17:51:33 EST 2010

Ralph's not on this list (so far as I know). In the interview, he's speaking of US writers only. Still a debatable point, of course.

Gardner

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 20, 2010, at 4:37 PM, "Horace Jeffery Hodges" <jefferyhodges at yahoo.com<mailto:jefferyhodges at yahoo.com>> wrote:

Because I'm a Baylor alumnus, I receive regular emails from that university on things that Baylor professors are doing. This morning, I received an email informing me that our Milton List's very own Ralph Wood has appeared on the PBS "Religion & Ethics Newsweekly" in a segment about Flannery O'Connor:

<http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2010/01/baylor-professors-share-their-expertise-with-pbs-other-news-outlets/>http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2010/01/baylor-professors-share-their-expertise-with-pbs-other-news-outlets/

Professor Wood appears at about 37 seconds into the segment, and he makes the interesting claim that O'Conner is America's "only great Christian writer" of literature. He later qualifies this remark by adding "orthodox Christian."

I'm curious, then, what Professor Wood might say about Milton. Since Milton was unorthodox in his theology, does that make him not a "great Christian writer"?

I'm not being polemical, by the way, I'm simply curious.

Jeffery Hodges