[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Jan 20 07:28:00 EST 2010

A characteristically excellent post from Harold Skulsky and I agree with
much of it.  But I do not share Harold's view that atoms in Chaos "are
determinate in form and movement."  I know that some are sharp while others
are smooth, and some are swift while others are slow, but did not Lucretius
say this too, and if he did why call the picture "faux-Lucretian"?  But my
real question concerns "determinate in form."  Both Milton himself as epic
narrator and Uriel describe Chaos as "formless" (3.12, 3.708).  If
formlessness is "Satan's manichean delusion," he has won some august
witnesses over to it.

John Leonard