[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Wed Jan 20 04:58:34 EST 2010

Prof. Skulsky, how is your description of Milton's order different from Neoplatonism?  I ask because I don't think Milton ever again approaches the Neoplatonism of his L'Allegro and Il Penseroso.  Indeed, when I was studying Neoplatonism with Michael J. B. Allen at UCLA, he told us that the philosophy tends to flourish only in an atmosphere of religious consensus, and that the Reformation and Counter-Reformation largely depressed the movement.  Milton's "sage and serious" Spenser is of course more Neoplatonic than Milton, but I suspect that his Four Hymns are also more Neoplatonic than his Faerie Queene.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi