[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 15:17:47 EST 2010

Thanks, Michael, for the correction of Curry's name. Does anyone know where the other diagram comes from? As for your reservations -- and those of Professor Danielson -- I had just noted my own concerns in a comment to that blog entry (and alluding to Danielson):

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2010/01/miltons-cosmos-or-universe.html

Uncle Cran, I had the same reservations as you. I couldn't quite see how an "ordered system" could include chaos . . . unless it implies that chaos is kept in its place. But "cosmos" would better fit the ordered world of creation, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that Milton himself used the terms "cosmos" and "universe" in the ways noted in this blog entry. Maybe only the Milton scholars do.

I asked about the distinction on the Milton List yesterday, and one prominennt scholar acknowledged that the distinction is used but that he finds it "strained and unhelpful." Maybe the terms should be changed from "universe" and "cosmos" to "universe" and "multiverse" -- as that scholar suggests.

I'm willing to use whatever distinction people find useful. In my opinion, the term "cosmos" fits the created world that is encompassed by the primum mobile (for that is consistent with tradition), and the term "universe" better refers to the totality of 'cosmos', heaven, hell, and chaos.

Jeffery Hodges