[Milton-L] Milton's Cosmos and Universe

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jan 19 13:59:25 EST 2010

Jeffery,

The author is Walter (not William) Clyde Curry.

One problem with *cosmos* as the name for the whole thing is its implication
of order. Aren't *cosmos* and *chaos* considered antonyms? The whole thing
in PL consists of three ordered places in a sea of chaos. There was a thread
here maybe a year ago where several people thought that *universe *was the
better name for the whole thing. In PL, Milton refers to our universe as
"the world" and as "Heaven and Earth" (invisibly hyphenated). So
*universe*is available for the whole thing.

Michael