[Milton-L] The popular Milton

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 13:48:01 EST 2010

I thought Anu might have mentioned that "eremite" is close to its
English linguistic descendant "hermit," as he usually lists such
relationships.

And he might have also quoted Keats' "Bright Star!" especially since the
sonnet had the notice of the world a couple months back when the film of
that name surfaced:

    Bright Star! would I were steadfast as thou art--
    Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night,
    And watching, with eternal lids apart,
    Like Nature's patient sleepless Eremite, ...

Keats is ever indebted to Milton, and it could be said that this sonnet
is a de facto travesty of "When I consider" or "How soon hath Time."
Keats is concerned with the impact of his own impressions on himself,
whereas Milton is always looking for cosmic moral significance.  Too
facile a comparison, perhaps, but what emerges is awe for Keats' mastery
of his craft, admiration for his youthfulness and a greater awareness of
Milton's.

What a way to start the day! A refreshing contrast to Pat Robertson's
doom upon Haiti.

Nancy Charlton