[Milton-L] "Comus" portrait

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jan 15 10:28:38 EST 2010

Thanks, Nancy.

  *Eld. Bro.* Unmuffle, ye faint stars; and thou, fair Moon, That wont’st to
love the travailler’s benison, Stoop thy pale visage through an amber cloud,
*        335* And disinherit Chaos, that reigns here In double night of
darkness and of shades. . . .

I wonder if Wright's vision was shaped by that bit of (Shakespearian?)
bombast by the Elder Brother. Apparently the moon never actually comes out
in the masque's action. It's a lovely painting, though, and new to me.

Michael