[Milton-L] Deeo-dahti or Dyo-dayti?

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Jan 12 12:02:55 EST 2010

As John Hale suggests, the family might have accepted an Anglicized version
with initial stress and long English vowels, such as DY-o-DAY-ti. (As with
EYE-ni-go Jones.) After all, the young man was called Charles, not Carlo.
 Obviously we don't know for sure, but I was just wondering if there is a
consensus pronunciation among Miltonists.

Michael