[Milton-L] Re prelaps seasons: when is a question a good one?

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Jan 9 10:25:07 EST 2010

Dario,

Satan already knew the dietary rules before conversing with Eve. He learned
them while eavesdropping on A&E's conversation in Book IV. So he is
definitely playing dumb.

According to PL, the reason for the prohibition is not that "you will die,"
nor, as in Genesis, to keep the humans from becoming godlike. The reason for
the prohibition is to prove A&E's continuing fealty to their creator. This
is an ethical justification that Eve has understood and approved, but that
she forgets when Satan claims that the Man is tryin' to keep her down.

In your post about the serpent's speech, you are correct. Milton has
contrived to make Eve's test much more strenuous than it is in the Bible,
thereby showing respect for Eve's abilities. One way he does this is to have
the previously silent serpent speak, thus providing evidence for the truth
of his claims about the fruit. In Genesis the subtle serpent seems already
to have had the power of speech.

I enjoy your comparisons to Dante. You make me want to reread P & P, which I
haven't visited for a long time.

Michael