[Milton-L] Re prelaps seasons: when is a question a good one?

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 02:26:42 EST 2010

Dear Michael

oh no, I was not "blaming" Milton at all. The small mistakes of a genius are
anyway better than the great achievements of an idiot --- that's not by
Oscar Wilde, but it might well be :-)
Yes, maybe it was nothing more than Satan playing dumb, tho' the Genesis
verses in that context look a bit "alien" to me, since Milton builds the
Tempation in a very personal way, that's not so easy to be adapted to the
Bible.

>she never mentions the reason for the prohibition.

I don't understand. Doesn't she correctly reports "God hath said, Ye shall
not eat / Thereof, nor shall ye touch it, lest ye die" in 9.662-663?

>Dario, This is not a "nod" by Milton. Satan is just playing dumb. He wants
her to restate the rules and perhaps notice the arbitrariness. It's
significant that she never mentions the reason for the prohibition, although
Adam has explained it and she approved of it as "just and right" (4.443).

Michael