[Milton-L] John Shawcross

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 8 17:03:23 EST 2010

I offer this as an open tribute to John, Steve. There are no other
words . . .

A NOISELESS, patient spider,
I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
Ever unreeling them-ever tirelessly speeding them.          5

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,-seeking the spheres, to
connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form'd-till the ductile anchor hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.