[Milton-L] Milton and Greek texts of John's gospel

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:52:05 EST 2010

Probably be Erasmus's text (the Textus Receptus of 1516).  Seems like
another Greek text was prepared and published not long after the Textus
Receptus, but I don't recall offhand.  Westcott and Hort's Introduction to
the New Testament in the Original Greek is a very useful resource here.
I've found this list online:

<<Most notable among the many editors of Greek New Testaments in this period
were Erasmus (5 editions: 1516, 1519, 1522, 1527, 1535), Robert Estienne
a.k.a. Robertus Stephanus (4 editions: 1546, 1549, 1550, 1551), Theodore de
Beza (9 editions between 1565 and 1604), and the Elzevirs (3 editions:
1624,1633, 1641).>> <http://www.bible-researcher.com/kutilek1.html#note3>

But it seems like there's another edition that was particularly important to
English translations.

Jim R