[Milton-L] Re prelaps seasons: when is a question a good one?

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:29:27 EST 2010

Actually looking at the poem caused the problem to begin with, Richard.
Looking at these lines again reinforces the problem:

<<To whom thus Eve. Adam, earths hallowd mould,
>   Of God inspir'd, small store will serve, where
>   store,
>   All seasons, ripe for use hangs on the stalk;
>   Save what by frugal storing firmness gains
>   To nourish, and superfluous moist consumes: [ 325
>   ]>>

Eve's reference to "small store" means that Adam and Eve don't need to keep
much food in stock, because "all seasons, ripe for use hangs on the stalk."
Edible fruit (I'd imagine this word refers to all growing, edible things) is
available to Adam and Eve year round right on the stalk.  All seasons are
harvest and growing seasons.  There's nothing natural about this in terms of
our current climate.

Not something you'd expect in normal four season climate with a real winter.

Jim R