[Milton-L] Hearing the poem

Margaret Thickstun mthickst at hamilton.edu
Fri Jan 8 10:19:50 EST 2010

For people planning spring syllabi: YouTube has two excellent short
clips (under three minutes each) of Sir Ian Richardson reading the
Invocation to Book One and Satan's first speech.

Go to YouTube.  Type in "Ian Richardson Paradise Lost First Part" for
the Invocation; then try "Ian Richardson Paradise Lost Book 1," which
will get you Satan's first speech.

I have put these to links on my syllabus.  It seems an excellent way to
help students adjust to the cadence of the language without having to go
through more complicated steps, like putting recordings on reserve, etc.

All the best--Margie

--

Margaret Olofson Thickstun

Elizabeth J. McCormack Professor of English

Hamilton College

198 College Hill Road

Clinton, NY 13323

(315) 859-4466