[Milton-L] Re prelaps seasons: when is a question a good one?

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:35:31 EST 2010

That could be it, Jeffery, thank you.  I think we should do more with Harold
Skulsky's reference to the Hours.  I noticed those references while going
through the text but didn't have time to think them through.  The Hours also
represent the seasons in Greek lit -- Spring, Summer, Autumn.  Winter must
be divided between Autumn and Spring (living in Ohio, right now I'm
thinking, "must be nice").   So the presence of the Hours is the presence of
the seasons.  I think if Spring and Autumn dance hand in hand, what you have
are two seasons -- Spring and Autumn, no winter, no summer, but continual
harvest.

I was thinking too of these lines in bk 5:

<<To whom thus Eve. Adam, earths hallowd mould,
Of God inspir'd, small store will serve, where store,
All seasons, ripe for use hangs on the stalk;
Save what by frugal storing firmness gains
To nourish, and superfluous moist consumes: [ 325 ]>>

Jim R