[Milton-L] re-post of riposte

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:51:13 EST 2010

I'm not sure whether this got put on the list or not (I never got it myself), or
went just to John R, so I am re-posting it (disregard if you got it before):

I didn't expect any agreement at all, so half of John R's mind is pretty good.  Let
me try one other formulation, and see if this helps any.  I think that what Milton
is doing in the presentation of human life in Eden -- which I'm on record
thinking the greatest and deepest thing in PL -- is trying to imagine an ideal
human life/marriage.  I think that is more important to him, and more of what
he is trying to accomplish, than constantly to be reminding himself that this is
an ideal PRELAPSARIAN human life, and that he has to rigorously exclude
anything that is supposed, traditionally, to be postlapsarian.  If he has, uniquely,
sex and labor before the fall, why not some version of seasonal change,
ripening and overripening fruit, etc?  And I think it possible to exaggerate the
division between pre and post.  I also think that with regard to Eden, M is more
interested in ethical matters (in the broad Aristotelian sense of ethics) than in
cosmological ones.  Hope this helps a bit.

RS