[Milton-L] ribbing

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Thu Jan 7 09:47:21 EST 2010

The connection between "ribs of Gold" and the creation of Eve is very old indeed.  It goes back to Zachary Pearce, who in 1733 noted that the Pandemonium lines "allude to the formation of Eve in viii. 463".  William Empson in Some Versions of Pastoral (1935) quoted Pearce with approval and concluded: "I call this a profound piece of criticism" (p. 176).