[Milton-L] Re: Canaries in the coal mine, prelaps, etc.

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:18:36 EST 2010

Richard --

In my experience, there are writers who pay close attention to detail, and
there are writers who don't.  Milton has always seemed to me the first
type.  He's doing an incredible thing with PL, integrating his own
understanding of Christian theology, the Biblical material, Greek and Roman
myth, then-contemporary science (cosmology), addressing the concerns of
apologetics, etc.  He seems like the type of writer aware of those details
and who would want them to all fit together.  While I don't disagree with
you about his main purpose, that doesn't mean he neglected details.  The
world in which characters are placed is just as important in revealing
character as the characters themselves.

That being said, of course Milton can slip.  This one just seems too
obvious.  If its obvious to me, surely it was obvious to Milton.  I'm
inclined to think he was thinking about the issue differently, so I'm
curious how he may have been doing so.

Within the Biblical account, pain during childbirth and labor exist before
the fall.  The curse was for an increase in pain in childbearing, not the
unique introduction of it, and Adam and Eve were commanded to tend the
Garden before the fall.  Whether or not sex existed before the fall is a
matter of which exegete you read.  Jerome reads the Genesis account
symbolically in a way that would make Freud proud -- snake, fruit, come on,
it's all about sex.  But, sex was not forbidden.

Jim R