[Milton-L] seasons in PL

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:15:39 EST 2010

Did Milton imply anywhere that nothing died before the fall?  My impression
has always been that nothing had died -yet-.

These lines seem to be a clear reference to the seasonal migration of birds
-- wedge formation to ease their flight, caravan implying a long trip, which
is taken high over the sea, etc:

<<Part loosly wing the Region, part more wise [ 425 ]
In common, rang'd in figure wedge thir
way<http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Emilton/reading_room/pl/book_7/notes.shtml#geese>
,
Intelligent of seasons, and set forth
Thir Aierie Caravan high over Sea's
Flying, and over Lands with mutual wing
Easing thir flight; >>
Whatever we think about the importance of the specific issue, there does
seem to be a clear contradiction between the seeming introduction of seasons
in Book 10 and constant reference to it earlier.  I think just sheer
curiosity about narrative detail would warrant some serious attention...

Jim R