[Milton-L] seasons in PL

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Wed Jan 6 11:11:33 EST 2010

I am glad for John Leonard’s early attempt to share his thoughts on this amazing passage, and the packed word. Poetry also works effectively when it provides undercurrents of subsidiary meanings that contribute to various motifs. I am reminded that “season” had meant to render food delicious — and the OED has a 1601 use of “seasoning” as a noun referring to food savoring. The OED also reminds us that season is directly related to “a time of year when a plant flourishes, when it blooms or bears fruit.” For me, all these meanings redound on fruition and creativity but also the fruit-related prohibition.

Adios, Angelica Duran