[Milton-L] Milton's Prelapsarian Cosmos

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:52:56 EST 2010

Ha...yes, Jeffery, this sentence of yours sums it up:

<<Yesterday, I noted that Milton seems to give Adam and Eve a prelapsarian
understanding of the seasons that will characterize only the postlapsarian
world, so let us turn unto the seasons that occur throughout *Paradise Lost*
.>>

Seems like it was a theological commonplace that unfallen Eden was in a
perpetual Spring, though, and probably still is among Evangelicals.  It
makes sense for God to say at creation that the stars were given for the
seasons.  If he said so in front of the the angelic host, that would
distribute knowledge of the changes of the seasons before they occurred.  I
don't recall if Raphael's use of the word "seasons" occurs before or after A
and E's first use of it.  But we could conceivably reconstruct word of mouth
knowledge from God to the angels to human beings.

I'm not completely satisfied as none of these characters would know what
they were talking about, except for God, but they seem to.

Jim R