[Milton-L] Milton's Prelapsarian Cosmos

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 18:07:32 EST 2010

Jim Rovira asked:

"Do you think Fowler is speaking metaphorically, rather than literally describing Milton's cosmos?"

I'm pretty sure that Fowler was speaking literally. For ease of checking, click on the following unwieldly address:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vZFKAVtVlG0C&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=%22sun+remains+constantly+in+the+same+sign%22&source=bl&ots=wpDfN2Igdg&sig=-WdpsQSHNpHyczNmwRa3vm6e8iE&hl=en&ei=HMRDS_rwHYugkQXCg7HwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22sun%20remains%20constantly%20in%20the%20same%20sign%22&f=false

This is William Poole, Milton and the Idea of the Fall, quoting Fowler's entire passage, where Fowler describes Milton's astronomy -- his literal, not metaphorical astronomy.

Jeffery Hodges