[Milton-L] Milton's Prelapsarian Cosmos

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 17:04:34 EST 2010

Thanks, Michael. I had suspected that a "civil day" was a convention, but I coulldn't figure out what sort of convention existed in a prelapsarian Paradise.

My more pressing question is this:

"How does Fowler know that the "sun remains constantly in the same sign"? Is this an inference, or does Milton state this somewhere? PL 10.329 notes that 'the sun in Aries rose,' but would it have always remained there in an unfallen world? If so, why?"

Could somebody clarify this for me? Why does Fowler state that the sun would always be in the same sign, presumably Aries?

Jeffery Hodges