[Milton-L] CFP: "Spenser, Donne, and the Work of Poetry"

Mitchell M. Harris mitchell.harris at augie.edu
Wed Dec 29 17:20:13 EST 2010

Dear list members:

I told Kenneth Gross that I would forward the following CFP to the
Milton list-serve. Looks to be an interesting session in 2012!

All the best,
	Mitch Harris

Call for Papers:  “Spenser, Donne, and the Work of Poetry”

The International Spenser Society and The John Donne Society seek
papers for a joint session on “Spenser, Donne, and the Work of Poetry”
at the 2012 MLA convention in Seattle.  Contributors might explore the
two poets’ similar or contrasting attitudes toward such work, ranging
from the “work” of poetic making and the shaping of poetic fictions to
the “work” they thought poetry accomplished, either in the social
sphere or in the individual reader.  Papers might examine these poets’
attitudes toward their audiences, their sense of poetry as a vocation,
the material shape of the poet’s texts (the printed or written
“work”), as well as how their texts frame the work or labor of reading
poetry, or how Spenser and Donne view the “wild work” of fancy more
broadly.  This latter emphasis might include questions about how Donne
reads Spenser.

Abstracts: 200 words

Due: 1 March 2011

Contributors should send abstracts and inquiries to both Kenneth
Gross, Department of English, University of Rochester, kgross99 at gmail.com
   and Sean McDowell, Department of English, Seattle University,mcdowell at seattleu.edu

Mitchell M. Harris
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Augustana College
2001 S. Summit Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57197
(605) 274-5297
mitchell.harris at augie.edu

"To stand inquiring right, is not to stray;
To sleep, or run wrong, is."

				- John Donne